Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Plato and Aristotle


Perhaps strangely, I prefer Aristotle to Plato going merely on these two readings (as unfortunately, I'm not nearly as well-read as I'd like to be yet in the area of the classics). After talking about it in class today, I realized that my opinion was unpopular in the discussion at the time, though I can honestly see the merit in liking either more than the other. They each appear to have their individual strengths. My basis for preferring Aristotle really is that his teachings in the Poetics are so familiar. In both theatre classes and some high school English classes, I recall discussing the basic construction of plot and poetry, and it delighted me to see something I knew and honestly understood from that period in my life because this is the source. It's intriguing to see where these things come from, and make one really think about their importance to society. Where would we be without Aristotle's frameworks for tragedy and basic plot sequence, including denouement, climax, and the like? I'm amazed by the fact that we still teach using Aristotle's models even today. His work was so well-planned out and considered that we still haven't come up with a better way to formulate and discuss/teach the creation of basic stories and plays. I suppose this makes me look like a fool, which I will by no means deny, but I enjoy learning about Aristotle's ideas all the same. After all, I've been spoon-fed many of his theories from a young age anyway--at least now I know why!

Plato is interesting in his own way as well, and definitely creative in a different way. His way is more towards a story-telling mode of getting across his ideas, which I very much enjoy, though perhaps I would enjoy it more if I read more of his work. The Apology of Socrates, while very interesting, made me (quite honestly) physically tired because of its length, and matched with my weakened state at the moment due to recent illness, I think it was more the fault of outside forces than Plato's writing ability that made it difficult for me to follow overall. But I appreciate the concept of the writing, and I thought it was humorous in its way and accomplished what it set out to accomplish. My next venture, sparked by this reading and the discussion in class, is to read Plato's Hippias (minor). It discusses Homer (which also has something to do with something mentioned in class...), and the title apparently means "On Lying." I recall someone mentioning it in high school years ago, but as I've put off a lot of reading I have wanted to do since high school up until now, I am hopefully going to start broadening my reading horizons more in the next few weeks... starting tonight.

I found a translation online of the full Hippias (minor) to read HERE (click the link to go to it--it should open in a new window). And HERE is a humorous blog post about Aristotle (that isn't very flattering to him but that's okay, I'm sure he wouldn't be all that offended... cough... okay maybe a little) that was not created by me or anyone affiliated with myself but I found it funny and it was attached to this very charming illustration I found while I was googling...



...Who WOULDN'T want to click on that and see what the website was all about? I mean, really...

Alright, I leave you now to the wonderful world of not-Sarah-land to frolic and be free and merry and jovial and insert-other-synonym-for-happy-here.
Okay, toodles!

~Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment