Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day 2


In today's class we learned about types of Poetics: lyric, tragedy, comedy, and epic. We also learned about each other and made introductions with our partners. Anna and I made up our own introductions--she said I desired to have a chinchilla farm when I grew up and I said she had a pet rattlesnake named BoBo. It was fun. Before all of that, we looked up allusions to certain Bible stories in culture, such as those mentioned in films, television, art, and literature. The Iliad was also mentioned briefly today because we have to read it for next class. I dare not talk about The Iliad any longer, however (because oh mercy high school memories). I honestly do not know what to talk about. I think I will write a poem instead. I'll try haiku... kind of.

There is nothing in this world 7
that makes me happy 5
more than your beauty 5

internally and outwardly. 8
You are more than 4
I thought possible 5

Every time I reach you I am so 9
astounded 3
because you are... you. 5

So you. Irrevocably you. And I 10
fail at 2
the right words. Always. 5

But I know that I don't want to see any
one 1
but you this morning. 5

There. It’s kind of awful (okay, it really is) but it’s an interesting experiment. And no, it’s not exactly a lyric poem as it is defined, I see. No Iambic Pentameter for me, thank you. But maybe some day I’ll consider it. I like to experiment with words sometimes. I miss it, actually. I hope I get more time to do that soon. 







No comments:

Post a Comment